Sunday, November 6, 2011

mud & water

In this life, wisdom and beauty can hide in small spaces; I find truth in the in-between and the unspoken - the process of change and the embedded details of refining. I look underneath words and find what's considered lost to see that even in moments of seemingly insignificant movements, there is a well of healing, a foundation on which to thrust all uncertainties, a purpose unfathomable, and a reality much greater than I ever dared to hope. 

He is a man born blind. I wonder if he thought it was enough. Jesus, in what can easily be forgotten, spits in his hand. He takes water and mud between his fingers, and covers the man's eyes. "Go, wash in the pool of Siloam" (which means Sent). So he went and washed and came back seeing." (John 9:7)

I can give you words that overlook the small spaces. I can write about the chapters in my life that are documented in photo albums, those encounters of Jesus that turn into beautiful, arching mosaic structures and stained glass windows. I can recount those moments that define us - maybe even for good reason. But then I look and see down beyond the illumined water's surface where the light seems to spill in somehow, and I turn over old stones, broken glass and colors left behind. Somewhere between it all, I've overlooked so much in the pool of Siloam. Jesus enters into the muck and mess of our world, setting aside His crown to walk into brokenness, He exchanges a crown of beauty for ashes. He touches the leper, calls the bleeding woman daughter, restores the heart of the weary. He calls me to see the beauty in the every day, in the secret spaces, in the quiet. With mud and water, Jesus makes the extraordinary happen.

Here in this space, I want to use mud & water to discover the every day extraordinary moments with Jesus, the every day journey of faith and all the regular but wonder-filled riches that He unveils. Like a blind man that now sees, I am moved by grace and transformed by the living water. I pray that my words and reflections might be used like mud in his hands, and that by it, you and I might come back seeing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are [like] honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24