Friday, February 17, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Delight

I want to learn the art of self-discipline. But not the way the world defines it.. I want to be inspired by the way God works in His creation.. I want to delight in the daily sweet moments: kitten paws batting under the door frame, soft blankets and cold tile on my feet. I want to leave enough time and flexibility in my day to delight in these little things, but still push myself to examine my day in the morning and what goals I am to accomplish. I want to be disciplined in such a way that I don't just work toward diligence to "cross it off the list" but to work hard in seeking Him and doing it all for His glory. What is the balance between creating a structured schedule for myself with big and small God honoring tasks without creating space for delight, for divine appointment, for being still before the Lord?

Maybe the question isn't "what is the balance?" because I don't want to have equal parts in my day.. I want Christ to far out weigh the rest. Maybe the question isn't "what is the balance?" but "what is the center?"

Today these are the thoughts that flood my mind as I steam milk and hand the girl with the Hijab headscarf 70 cents in change.

2 comments:

  1. Mollie, I love these tender words, the wondering how to live this life, with the freedom of Him showing us how. You stir me to consider the role of surrender and trust, even in the attempt at structure, and the freedom that comes with, yes, Him being the center of it all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this.
    And it is SO true - - it is the balance, the focus . . .everything lined up with priority always Him first, with everything else falling into place as it should - - without the need for all the fretting and worrying that comes so naturally.

    This is lovely.
    I am praying that your delight spills over onto all those that you serve today.
    May He bless you abundantly!!

    ReplyDelete

"Pleasant words are [like] honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24