Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes: Growing a Freelance Biz Baby


Well, the secret is out: I'm officially celebrating the beginnings of Mohr Editing, an editorial freelance business that I am over the moon about. It feels a little strange writing about it, and even stranger talking about it. Nevertheless, "courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen," as BrenĂ© Brown puts it in Daring Greatly. I'm learning that none of this is easy, but the rewards of launching a business I am passionate about far outweigh the challenges. 

I never dreamed something like this could happen in my wildest imaginations; and to be quite honest with you, I still have my doubts. There's something terrifying about having to believe in yourself to push forward. Sometimes it's overwhelming to think about where I want to be in one year, five years, ten years... but I know any successful freelancer takes baby steps, especially in the beginning. So far, everything feels right. I am so blessed to have a husband who schemes and dreams with me.... having Aaron by my side has been absolutely essential to chase any of my dreams. 

I'm thankful to be able to grow at a pace we're both comfortable with and to have access to the wisdom and resources I've been given. This is—without a shadow of a doubt—a season of learning (in more ways than one). I'm enjoying my editing classes and getting acquainted with professional editors through a number of awesome associations. Honestly, I've been blown away by how God is leading me toward this direction. There are days when I don't feel "enough" and other days when I feel like I could conquer anything. Throughout the doubts, there are tiny moments in which He gently nudges me to keep moving forward. I've received a lot of encouragement from professional freelance editors over the past few months. That means the world to me.

In the midst of excitement, fear of failure, and a whole mix of other emotions, I know the Lord is my strength and my song. I am clinging to Scripture and powerful words of affirmation that happen to find me at the right time. Here's another piece of truth from BrenĂ© Brown's Daring Greatly. I hope it encourages you to unlock your vulnerability, creativity, and potential. 

“Wholeheartedness. There are many tenets of Wholeheartedness, but at its very core is vulnerability and worthiness; facing uncertainty, exposure, and emotional risks, and knowing that I am enough.” 

Thanks for joining in with me on this adventure! If you want more editor talk, follow me on Twitter: @mohrediting or follow my professional blog. It's all so exciting. Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are [like] honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24