Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dear Houston: The Times They Are A-Changin'

Dear Houston,

Here's the rushed update:

I've been a little distracted these past few months and haven't given you too much thought. Maybe this is distraction, maybe it's something more. Having to announce that we're leaving this city that we love has been such a challenge, and we are reusing words to encourage and build up one another. I don't know if its the adventure of meeting you and starting a new chapter of our lives together, but my life since December has completely flipped upside down. I am in a constant state of "what if" and it's easy for me to forget to focus on the now. As Amber so wisely put it, I am "struggling in the tension of the already but not yet." Since you came into the picture, there is a temptation to "check out" early, harbor resentment and fear, and live my life here with anxiety. But we have to fight against that. The Lord is good and promises to go with us, and I desperately need to cling to His faithfulness.

Over the past few months, I've decided to apply to Library School. We'll see what happens, but I can't help but think that you had something to do with this. I really think that the idea of my life changing drastically in the next few months allowed me to see this desire and long term goal of mine. I've never considered getting my Masters before, but I really feel like it could be the right timing. We'll see what He has in store for me!

Also, I've apparently become a dog lover. {Don't worry to my readers, I am still 100% a devoted cat lover.} Another big change is the new member of our family, Zoey. This definitely had something to do with you. We had a small window of time to get a dog since Aaron will be leaving for months at a time starting in July. If it were up to me to train a pup while he is gone, I just might raise a monster. Thankfully, it worked out well that we adopted a 4 month old pup from the shelter and she'll be at least 6 months old by the time he leaves. I'm not going to lie Houston, you're pretty intimidating to take on by myself... which is why we decided to get a more intimidating [looking] cuddly friend. She will be the best of companions while my sweet Husband is gone. We figured there will be a lot of "firsts" coming. Why not add one more? Get a dog {even though it wasn't on my Life List} - check. :)

We're preparing mentally and physically for our first Houston trip in April. I'm sure it will be surreal, but good for us. Too bad Zoey won't be able to join us and scout out her new home with that hound nose of hers...

Que nostalgic/sad/dramatically appropriate Bob Dylan song...
:) <3m




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are [like] honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24